The newly formed Wellington State Bank Cybersecurity Lab in the Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business performed its first, of what is expected to be many, small business cybersecurity audits over the summer. A three student team under the direction of the Gensler Professor of Computer Information Systems, Dr. Murray E. Jennex, performed the audit that generated in several recommendations for the small business. The Wellington State Bank Cybersecurity Lab is located in room CC208M and is currently being outfitted with state-of-the-art computers and accessories that will allow students to learn how do penetration testing, manage device configurations, and learn how attackers infiltrate and steal data from business systems.
The Wellington State Bank Cybersecurity Lab was founded based on a grant from Wellington State Bank. The purpose of this lab is to provide a highly visible and highly active source of cybersecurity knowledge for students, citizens, businesses, and local governments in the Texas Panhandle. There are multiple goals for the lab:
- To produce a cybersecurity workforce for the panhandle
- To increase awareness of and educate on cybersecurity issues and resolutions in panhandle students, residents, businesses, and local governments
- To provide a source of expertise for aiding small businesses and local governments in addressing cybersecurity needs and responding to cybersecurity threats and attacks
- To partner with local and other like-minded organizations to protect the panhandle from cyber-attack and crime
- To foster research and innovation in cybersecurity
- To collaborate with other West Texas A&M University colleges as well as other institutions to address the unique cybersecurity needs these organizations possess
The Wellington State Bank Cybersecurity Lab is a part of broader efforts to maximize the direct and positive societal impact of the Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business. Opportunities to benefit both students and the community are a critical function of the college.
For more information on the Wellington State Bank Cybersecurity Lab please contact Dr. Jennex.